The fact that this so-called “guest bedroom” looks more like a girl’s bedroom is, believe me, strikingly evident every time I walk in this room.
Given the fact that I’m trying to use only the things I already have on hand combined with the fact that 3 of my 4 kids are girls it’s sort of unavoidable that this room is girly.
Several of the fabric options I considered for this window included some old pink silk curtains, a gray check duvet cover that I toyed with making into curtains and several sheer options. The fabric I used was purchased at iKea a few years ago for $.99/yd as possible wedding decor but became curtains instead!
It’s a sheer dotted swiss-like fabric…
with a tiny scallop along each selvage edge. You can see it here on the left side.
For the top I chose to go with double ribbon ties instead of rings. There are 6 sets of double ties per panel. Each tie is 25″ long – total. Meaning each side of the tie is 12.5″ long. An old curtain rod and brackets got a fresh coat of white paint and they were good to go!
I usually put at least a 2″ double upper hem in unlined sheers but with the tiny ribbon ties I felt the smaller hem looked better.
I played around with several ribbon colors including the pinks, blues and greens already in the room but liked this pale taupe gray color the best. The Ribbon is Hug Snug Ribbon Color Mushroom.
I made the pendant shade slipcover years ago for the girls. It may eventually get a makeover but for now it works.
Above, I mentioned a gray check duvet cover that I briefly considered for the curtains…it became a no-sew poof cover instead! Details coming up next!