If you’ve followed this blog for a while, you know I love the concept of mixing unexpected fabrics together.
When Stacey asked me to make her shower curtain, as well as recover a lamp shade for her bathroom, she particularly wanted this mix of fabrics. You can see more on Stacey’s Shower Curtain here.
The lampshade began as your basic 6 sided lampshade. I removed the eyelash fringe but kept the original shade fabric in place.
Using a piece of the original shower curtain fabric, I began my making a template of sorts of the shape of one side of the shade.
Holding the fabric in place and using the wires in the lampshade as my guide, I drew a pattern on the reverse side of the fabric.
Folding the piece in half and lining up my pencil lines…
I cut out the shape I needed allowing an extra 1/2″ on all four sides.
Here’s my first piece pinned in place.
Using the first piece as a pattern, I repeated the process cutting out 5 additional pieces. For this particular lampshade I decided to use three fabrics.
The original shower curtain fabric, the green burlap coordinating fabric and a third fabric that blended with the other two. I cut two pieces of each fabric.
Using a 1/2″ seam I sewed the 6 pieces together leaving the last edge open.
Placing the now sewn pieces together, right side facing the lampshade, I made sure it fit the shade.
I ironed the seams flat and sewed the last seam together making a slipcover for the shade.
Here you can see the how the three fabrics were sewn together and the slipcover in place.There are still raw edges along the upper and lower portion of the shade.
Here’s also where things get a bit tricky. For some unknown reason I completely stopped taking pictures at this point. I have no better explanation than I got wrapped up in what I was doing and simply forgot! So sorry! So I hope the rest of the directions make sense.
I made a seam binding, of sorts, out of the black and cream check cutting it on the bias to get the diagonal appearance. This was cut 2″ wide and the measurement of the circumfrance of the shade being my length. The raw edges were then folded together to meet in the middle and then folded again and ironed to form a 1/2″ wide strip of fabric.
The fringe along the bottom edge was then sandwiched between the two sides of the seam binding and sewn in place along the lower edge of the lampshade slipcover. The upper edge was completed in the same manner.
When finished, the entire slipcover was then slipped over the existing fabric covered lampshade. I used hot glue to secure it in several places along the upper and lower edges to ensure it stayed in place.
Once you have sewn your actual slipcover, you can finish the upper and lower edges by simply turning under the raw edges and hot gluing a flat braid in place if you choose.
Stacey sent me this photo of the lampshade in place in her bathroom! Look at that adorable rabbit lampbase! So cute!!!