I’ve never had a guest bedroom. Well…technically I suppose I did when I first got married and way back when I only had one child but it’s been a LONG time.
Kaleigh moved out a year ago, and me being so on-the-ball about getting things done around here, we’re now working on turning the spare bedroom into a cute guest bedroom.
I toyed with the idea of moving my work room up here. Or turning it into a hangout space for the two kiddos still at home. But honestly this room still functions best for us as a bedroom so a bedroom it will stay.
While visions of makeovers involving new furniture, bedding and accessories danced in my head it’s just not monetarily feasible. And to tell you the truth, not the way I prefer to pull a space together.
It’s really true that when you’re working with limitations you’re more open to creative alternatives. And I like the satisfaction that comes along with creative alternatives!
My limitations involved the decision to use only what I had on hand.
At least, I’m starting this process using only what I have. We’ll see where it takes us.
This decision did NOT prohibit me from painting, sewing or repurposing anything I may already have on hand.
Cue – the twenty-something yr old bunk beds that in previous lives have been bunk beds, twin beds together in the same room, twin beds in separate rooms, twin beds in separate houses and lastly no long twins at all after Kaleigh painted one of them.
I seriously debated whether I wanted to paint the beds a fun color or white.
after one coat of paint
I went with white.
The amazing Allison, over at Refunk My Junk, ask me to try out Heirloom Traditions Chalk Type Paint just in time to transform these beds. Not only is Allison a friend and fellow Okie but a talented blogger, painter, entrepreneur and mommie.
If you’re planning on, thinking about or just interested in painting anything you need to check out her blog & e-book which is chock-full of paint tips and tricks – some of which I used on this project.
I chose the color Venetian which has a very slight gray tint. It’s so close to white that it’s really hard to tell the difference as you can see here in my attempt to paint over the existing white paint and how many places I missed!
Can you see the two tones in the above photo? It’s kind of cool, the iridescent/mother-of-pearl-like appearance to that section of the bed. Would have been even more cool if I’d planned it on purpose!
After two coats of paint on two headboards and two footboards I was wondering why I wanted to paint these things in the first place.
But I persevered…and lightly sanded each piece with a brown paper bag (one of Allison’s tips).
I used the Heirloom Traditions clear wax to finish and protect the beds.
I used an old t-shirt to apply the wax…
and a $1 car buffing mitt from Dollar Tree to buff the wax.
I am SO very pleased with the results. I guess I could have painted those bolts. Oh, well.
I don’t have complete double sets of anything for these twin beds. So I started working with what I had. After I had this combo together I didn’t like the dark bedskirt so…
I switched it out for a green striped, Shabby Chic bed skirt I picked up at the thrift store for $2 several years ago. I like this much better.
Still working on the bedding…especially the pillows but it’s coming together.
New (using $.99/yd fabric I already had) sheer window treatments and a recovered poof are the latest projects. I’ll be sharing all the details soon.
I feel like the Hare in the old Tortoise and the Hare fable with this room.
It’ll get there eventually and it’ll be a winner!