I should probably call this an update rather than a bathroom makeover because technically the changes I’ve made to our master bath are purely cosmetic. But new paint, window treatment, rugs and a couple of towels made a big difference! So, it’s a makeover to me.
My number one concern, beginning this process, was working with the existing tile. The main tile consists of two shades of beige, one with a strong yellow undertone, laid in a harlequin pattern on the floor and used in the shower and tub surround while the bullnose has a slight pink undertone. Two undertones that tend to fight each other.
Here you can see the tile shown against the original paint color, Whole Wheat by Sherwin Williams, which is a warm golden color.
If you look close you can see the main tiles also have a pale shade of gray that shows up among the yellow undertones. I liked the idea of combining the two. Imagine your typical gray and yellow color scheme toned down, muddied or muted.
As I mentioned in my last post, I had a bit of a snafu with paint color but now…I’m pretty sure I’m content…at least I hope I remain content…with “Grant Beige” by Benjamin Moore.
Before we got around to painting I was ready to make the new curtains. I sold the old ones and started drawing up new designs. I wanted to stay with the cafe curtain and valance idea but change it up a bit.
Rummaging through my fabric stash I came across a taupe-gray velvet I had purchased in Dallas a year or so ago. With no idea of where I’d use it, it was purely an impulse buy because I love the color and I love velvet.
I started by making the cafe curtain. That was a no-brainer. I knew I wanted to use the cotton ivory sheer with the velvet cuff.
Now, in the real world of Sonya Hamilton Designs, I create a design, figure the yardage and purchase the fabric I need.
In this case, I’m doing it backwards. I’m designing a window treatment to fit the amount of velvet I bought a year ago!
I contemplated not repeating the velvet in the valance but really wanted a cohesive look for both valance and cafe curtain. I used a gray & taupe medallion pattern to make a scalloped valance. I used the remaining velvet to create a pleated detail for both ends of the valance and a ruffle to peek out between the scallops.
The creamy sheer fabric of the cafe curtain picks up on the yellow undertones in the tile.
This little chair may receive a coat of paint. Still debating.
Succulents are everywhere these days. Why not add a few to the bathroom?
While I loved the clock I used in here previously, it’s aqua color no longer worked with the new color scheme. I switched it out for this one I was using in another room but didn’t care for the wood tone frame.
Originally, I planned to give the clock a metallic look. Didn’t work.
So, while my sponge brush was still loaded with metallic paint I began painting with black craft paint. The result, which is a bit hard to detect here, is a mottled look which I really like! The combination of black & metallic with the original wood tone peeking through gave the clock a whole new look.
This window faces east and gets quite a bit of early morning sun and heat. Which is great in the winter but not so great in the summer. Thus, the faux wood blinds behind the cafes. I can raise and hide them behind the valance when desired or lower them for privacy and light control when needed.
paint – Grant Beige by Benjamin Moore
quatrefoil towels & rug – TJ Maxx
clock – Bassett Industries
valance medallion fabric – fabricresource.com
window treatment – Sonya Hamilton Designs